[Mingw-users] Getting current version of MinGW

Zurück zum Archiv-Index
Keith Marshall keith****@users*****
Mon Mar 11 02:14:20 JST 2019

On 10/03/19 15:59, Test User wrote:
> MinGW 5.3 is installed on my PC.

If this is so, then you did not get it from us, and it has been
illegally named, infringing our registered trade mark.  There is no such
legally named entity as MinGW 5.3.

> I downloaded mingw-get, ran mingw-get update

How did you run it?  You give the impression that you ran it from the
command line, but that would not have shown ...

> and it showed me that the current version of mingw32-gcc is 6.3.0-1.

... this; perhaps you subsequently saw it in the GUI?  However you have
determined it, it does suggest that, at some time, you have performed an
installation of GCC, using mingw-get, at a time when your local copy of
the mingw-get software catalogue recorded gcc-6.3.0-1 as the current
version.

> However, version 8.2.0 is avail****@mingw*****.  So what is the
> correct way to install the latest version of MinGW?

Running "mingw-get update", from the command line, (or the equivalent
"Installation / Update Catalogue" menu pick in the mingw-get GUI), only
operates on your local copy of the catalogue, bringing it up to date
with respect to the on-line master catalogue, at either OSDN.net, or
SF.net, (depending on where your local mingw-get profile points).

GCC-8.2.0 is indeed the current GCC release, and it is installable by
mingw-get, provided your mingw-get profile points to OSDN.net; (no new
MinGW packages will be published on SF.net).  To upgrade your existing
gcc-6.3.0-1 installation, after you have updated the catalogue, you need
to run "mingw-get upgrade", or the equivalent GUI sequence:

  Installation / Mark All Upgrades
  Installation / Apply Changes

Alternatively, if you don't want to upgrade everything in one fell
swoop, you may select individual packages for upgrade, in the GUI,
before the "Apply Changes" step, or you can specify a list of package
name arguments to the "mingw-get upgrade package ..." CLI command.

--
Regards,
Keith.